Thursday, March 19, 2009

There is a difference of opinion in our household over the matter of night-nursing. One of us feels that it ought to be phasing out now, allowing--nay, encouraging--both parties to have deeper, more sustained sleep, leading to a more rested and less cranky toddler and to a mom better able to tackle each day's work, refreshed and without backaches. The other of us feels that WAH WAH BOOBIES WAH! And the third party in our household is remarkably patient about listening to this particular disagreement over and over in the wee hours of the morning.

The child is getting his two-year molars, and I sympathize. But I am getting my umpteen-year degree, and I need my rest. People talk about beauty sleep, but brainy sleep, or at least vague-coherence sleep, now that's the real thing. I can't say I've ever got up looking like a pretty pretty princess (or, really, like anything other than a wad of something the night spat out), but I do, after a good night's sleep, come out of it ready to write shit down on paper. Reasonable, sense-making shit.

Lest I sound too selfish, it should be said that I am willing to nurse him for ten or fifteen minutes every three or four hours during the night, which seems ample. My son, however, is lately fighting for twenty minute stretches every two hours. To which, quoth I: beloved child, perhaps thou hast failed to note it, yet though art, no more a mewling infant, but a strapping, toddling young lad, well-provendered in daylight hours. Nay, look, here is a sip of water and a kiss. Be thou quiet now and rest thee. Hush, hush.

To which the child: WAH BOOBIES WAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Shakespeare it ain't.

In other news: I should be ready to begin writing a proper draft of my conference paper today or maybe tomorrow. I do wish I had planned, when drawing up my schedule, for more teething. I don't know why I didn't. Son has spent his entire second year thus far in the throes of teething. Effing A.

And in other other news: I got that job for next year! I am very excited. There is a lengthy training period to be got through first--we are not simply unleashed on unsuspecting freshmen--but I expect I will find it interesting. Now I just need to line up some work for the summer, too, and maybe find an extra class to teach or TA during next year, and I will have the lineaments of an income. (My stipend is about to give out. Does it show?) I will have to give in and borrow some money, too, but the less the better, especially given the state of the economy right now.

And now I'd better do some food chores (shopping lists, food prep). Make mashed potatoes while the son sleeps, that's what I always say!