Thursday, February 12, 2009

3175 doesn't sound like a lot, does it? In fact, it has bothered me all day, thinking of such a low number, and thinking of all the months and months I have worked on this chapter. So I went and counted up ALL of my work, and was relieved at the total result: 22,882 words. Here's how it breaks down:

First pass, my initial work considering the problem: 7241 words

Second pass, compiling my ideas into something like an outline or plan of attack: 7123 words

Third pass, my first stab at a draft, bogged down by having chosen the wrong starting place, but destined for eventual inclusion in my current draft, after revision: 5023 words

Fourth pass, my current draft, going as smoothly and merrily as can be: 3495 words

That figure I gave yesterday of 3175 words was from my fourth pass and current draft, minus 320 words which are a rough mock-up of my next few paragraphs. And now you understand, too, why I was hesitant to use a simple word count to measure my progress. Thus far, in pursuit of one chapter, I have written (at approx. 250 words per page) roughly 90 pages. And of those, about 60 are just "thinking on paper": rough ideas, errors, blind alleys, insights, confusion, clarity, round and round--the foundation for my chapter, but words which will never be included directly in my chapter.

I feel better now.