Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A fine day, writing-wise, but I left the library feeling as if I had not done enough. This fear always haunts me: that what I do is not, cannot be, enough, unless I am spending every waking moment on my dissertation. Reason responds: you don't have energy to focus and write for more than a few hours in a day. Pride even puts in (hopefully with some justification): you are a fast worker and thorough, too. Still I feel a bit bad when I go to work late and leave a little early, and knowing that my day's page count was respectable is somehow no comfort.

Well, one mistake I made was to take my lunch break right away. (What? I said I got there late!) Instead of letting my energy flow onto the page, I puttered around and expended it on web-surfing. Worse, I lost track of the time and took a much longer lunch than I should have. I suspect this is the ultimate source of my internal nag.

But enough! Guilt and self-recriminations only birth writer's block; this I know. Today is now behind me, and my thoughts may turn to tomorrow.